Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Your Will, Lord, Not Mine

On a Sunday in early December last year, our pastor spoke about Mary, the mother of Jesus. He said something about how perhaps the Roman Catholics talk a bit too much about Mary's role and the Protestants do not speak about it enough. That is probably true.

As part of Pastor John's sermon, he showed some clips about a teen girl discovering she was pregnant. He reminded us that Mary was that young, and that being with child without a husband at that time and in that culture was not good. She could have been stoned to death. And yet her faith in God was strong enough to be courageous about this.

The next day, I read a devotional about submitting to God's will.

The writer said, "When it gets right down to it, when I initially said, "Your will, Lord, not mine," what I really meant was, "Your will, not mine, as long as Your will is the same as mine and it does not involve hardship or suffering!"

The devotional writer, Mary Lou Cornish has fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndrome. She lives in Canada.To see the whole devotional: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/chronicpaindevotional/message/3008

Boy that statement hit home. It's easy to say we want God's will and not our own. It's also easy to say, "Wait! This isn't what I had in mind when I said that!"

Our pastor's sermon had four key points about faith:

1) It is not age dependent.

2) If you choose to walk by faith you will never be alone, but will probably be favored.

3) Faith requires a little courage on our part.

4) Faith means that worry can be replaced by worship.

That last one requires some emphasis and reflection. Faith means that worry can be replaced by worship. If we drop those worries at the Lord's feet, we can freely worship. We can freely minister to others. We can go on, knowing that God is taking care of everything. Our problems come when we give our troubles to Him and then try to snatch them back again.

When I worked in children's ministry, I taught children a song. The words were, "I will cast all my cares upon You. I will lay all of my burdens down at Your feet. And any time I don't know what to do, I will cast all my cares upon you." Sometimes, when my fibro foggy brain forgets the Bible verses and references, I remember to sing that song.

Psalms 55:22 NIV Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall.

Marilyn Mackenzie has been writing about home, family, faith and nature for over 40 years. She is an author on http://www.Writing.Com which is a site for Creative Writers Her portfolio can be found at http://kenzie.writing.com

No comments: